Nothing glorious like a warm savoury snack with a cup of tea (chai ) on a rainy day!
So ,With 2 freshly laid eggs , I decided to bake Egg Puffs (hard boiled eggs stuffed in pastry )
Just to give this humble puff a makeover , I decided to jazz this up into a braided version .
Nothing fancy here ,what we are talking here is puff pastry stuffed with boiled egg and caramelised onion . Yep ! couldn’t get easier than that , unless you want to make the pastry dough from scratch , haha .
I’m going to keep my filling simple with boiled Eggs , sliced onions , ginger garlic paste, pepper, salt and ohh, a pinch of garam masala , but, you can go crazy and add your favourite ingredients . You can by all means use, cheese , spring onions , bacon , chicken, capsicums , mushroom , or even use scrambled eggs. Did I mention that this is a very easy and forgiving recipe to bake ?!
Spread a sheet of defrosted puff pastry onto a baking tray , lined with baking sheet. Cut horizontal strips 1/3 of the way down the length of both sides of the pastry. Lay the boiled eggs topped with caramelised onion mixture down the centre, then fold in the sides of the dough like braid to cover the eggs. Bake until the pastry is browned and puffed.
You could very well serve this for this for breakfast or Brunch . I like to have these as a afternoon snack with a hot cup of chai .
Random thought .. did you know that ‘Chai’ in Hindi means- Tea , not the spiced- up version , but just plain ‘Tea’. Spiced up version is called ‘Masala Chai’. That’s right ! masala in everything 🙂
2 eggs, boiled and cut into halves
2 sheets of defrosted puff pastry
1 egg white
1 tsp water
2 tbsp unsalted butter
1 big onion sliced
1tsp ginger garlic paste
1/4 tsp garam masala
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp pepper
salt according to taste.
- In a large non-stick pan, melt butter and sauté the onions until caramelised for 3-4 mins.
- Add ginger garlic paste and cook for 1 min.
- Add turmeric powder, pepper powder followed by garam masala. Mix well.
- Add the eggs, and mix gently to coat the onion mixture. Set aside and cool to room temperature.
- If using other ingredients like Chicken , bacon ,mushroom, capsicum, etc., just add them along with the onions and sauté for 2 -3 mins . Please take care not to overcook as we will be finishing this off in the oven.
- Heat oven to 200 degrees.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg white and water.
- Spread one sheet of puff pastry on a baking sheet . Trim the sides of the pastry to form slanting strips,Place 2 halves (1 egg ) topped with the onion mixture and braid using alternate strips to enclose the egg mixture . Repeat with other pastry sheet.
- Brush with egg wash and bake for 20- 25 mins or until browned .Enjoy with a hot cup of tea or coffee .