Creaminess of cottage cheese and potato , combined with the sweetness of figs , balanced with a hint of chillies and finished off in rich , tangy tomato cashew-nut sauce. In other words , a must try !
Potato Cottage cheese Koftas stuffed with Fig
– 1 (150 gms ) medium Potato boiled and grated
– 100 gms cottage cheese grated
– 1 tbsp corn flour(for binding)
– ¼ tsp pepper powder
– pinch of Salt
– 5 dried figs soaked in hot water
– 1 cup Sunflower Oil – to shallow fry the koftas
Tomato Cashew nut sauce
– 2 medium tomatoes
– 2 green chillies
– 50gms roasted cashews
– 1 tsp ginger paste
– ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
– 1/2 tsp turmeric
– 1/2 chilli powder
– 1/2 coriander powder
– 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
– Salt according to taste
– 2 tbsp sunflower oil
– 1 tbsp fresh Cream
- Combine grated potatoes and cottage cheese , season with salt and pepper.Add Corn Flour and mix well . Knead to a smooth dough .
- Drain the figs from water , pat dry and chop finely
- Divide the dough into small portions . Roll each portions into 1/2 inch balls .Dust your hands with corn flour , take one portion at a time and flatten the kofta . Fill the kofa with figs and roll it into a round ball.Repeat with the remaining koftas .
- Heat oil in a Wok , fry the kofta till golden brown , drain on paper towel
- Blend the tomatoes , cashews and chilies with little water in a food processor to a smooth paste .
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan , add cumin , let it splutter .
- Add, ginger paste and fry well , now add tomato -cashew paste , mix well.Add a little water if the sauce is too thick .please use a long handled ladle or spoon to mix the sauce as the tomato -cashew paste may splutter while cooking.
- Add turmeric , chilli powder and coriander powder (Basic spice mixture). Mix well . Add a little hot water if the sauce is too thick. Add garam masala powder .Mix Well. Bring the sauce to a boil ,then, reduce the flame and simmer the sauce for 2 to 3 mins .
- The sauce is ready when the oil starts to surface on top .
- Just before serving add the koftas and gently coat with the sauce .*
- Remove from the heat and add fresh cream , Garnish with chopped coriander and serve .